How to delete a group chat on Messenger? A group chat was a feature added to various social media platforms to present their users with a new way of communicating. They no longer had to send the same messages, videos, and photos to every individual.
‘Group chat’ feature allows users to chat with hundreds of friends simultaneously. The feature was effective and efficient.
However, with the launch of the feature also came the questions. In this article, we have tried to answer one such question: How to delete a group chat on Messenger?
How To Delete A Group Chat On Messenger Using Facebook’s ‘Delete Chat’ Feature
Facebook has recently updated its delete chat feature, making it easier for Facebook users to delete Facebook group chats. Users no longer have to follow calculated steps to delete a group chat.
There are two simple and easy steps to delete your Group chat on Facebook messenger.
Step 1: Press Hold
- Hold the chat message you want to delete, and a chat menu appears.
- On the menu that appears, press “Delete.”
- A message will pop up on the screen asking if you want to [peemanently delete the message or not.
- Tap “Delete” to confirm and proceed; your group chat will no longer exist.
Step 2: Swipe to Delete Chat From Facebook Messenger.
- Select the chat message that you want to delete, then swipe left.
- A chat menu will pop on your screen; select “Delete.”
- A message will pop up on your screen asking you to confirm whether you want to delete the group chat from Messenger or not.
- Tap “Delete” to confirm, and your group chat or individual chat conversation will be permanently deleted from Messenger.
Other methods to Delete a Group Chat on Messenger.
Above we showed you the direct way to delete chat on Facebook messenger. Somehow, if the above-mentioned methods do not work on your device, don’t worry; below are steps you can follow to delete a group chat on Messenger.
Step 1: Tap on the Group In Messenger
Open your Messenger app and login into your account. Go to your Group for which you want to delete chats. Take note that you can delete the Group and remove the members from the Group only if you are the admin of the Group; if not, then you won’t be able to delete a group chat on Messenger.
Step 2: Click on Members
After opening the Group, you will be able to see all chats in the Group. Just below the group name, you will see three options, Click on “Members” to see all members of the Group.
Step 3: Remove All Peoples from The Group
Once you have a list of all the group members, remove them from the Group one by one. Click on that where you will be able to see all options of “Video Call, “Voice Call, “View Profile, “Block, “Make Admin, “Message,” and “Remove from Group. “Click on the “Remove from the Group, “and the Selected member will be removed from the Group.
The removed members of the Group will only be able to see old chats but will no longer be able to chat on the group messenger.
Step 4: Click On Leave Group
After removing all the members from the Group, it’s your turn to abandon the ship. Tap your profile icon; then, you will see one “Leave group “button click on it.
Step 5: Tap On Leave
After clicking on Leave group “, you will get a pop-up that will suggest you “Set a new admin” before leaving the Group because you are the last member of the Group. Click the ‘leave’ button to remove the Group from Facebook messenger permanently.
Now no prior member of the Group will be able to see old chats, not even you.
Step 6: Go to Archived Chats
Now, you will not be able to see the Group in the chat window. But still, the Group’s chat will be available under “Archived Chats” you can easily access your previous group chats there. To go to archived chats, follow these steps.
- Click on the profile icon.
- Tap on “Archived Chats.”
Your archived chats will be displayed there.
Step 7: Tap on Delete to Permanently Delete the Conversation
In the last step to delete a group chat from Facebook messenger, select the Group and click on the “Delete” button to delete the Group with chats from Archived chats. A pop-up will appear on your screen stating Are you sure you want to delete this conversation permanently? Press yes, and your chat will be deleted permanently.
Once you permanently delete group chat from Facebook messenger, no photos, videos, and chat will be left on the Group. No member will be able to initiate a new conversation.
However, the group chat members can access the old chat if they haven’t deleted the Group from their device.
How to Delete a Group on Messenger using Android
Now that we have learned how you can delete chat on Facebook messenger. Here are some quick and easy steps you can follow if you wish to delete an entire group using Android.
- Login to Facebook messenger with your Messenger ID. Select the Group you want to delete. You can look through the search tab or group section if it is not found easily. Open the group conversation. Tap on the “i” icon at the top of the screen. Tap on the three bars option next to the user. Tap on the ‘Remove from group’ option. Do the same with other users and remove all the users from this Group.
- After deleting all users, go back to the previous page and press the ‘leave group’ option. Confirm it by choosing the leave option.
How to Delete a Group on Messenger using iPhone
Facebook Messenger is available on iPhone devices. Follow the steps mentioned below to remove a group from your ios device.
- Open the Facebook Messenger app.
- Using your login information, enter Facebook messenger.
- Enter the Group’s name in the search box you want to delete.
- Tap on the Group and open it. Tap on the Group’s name at the top.
- Scroll down and tap on the ‘see all group members’ option.
- Tap on the group member. Tap on the ‘Remove from group’ option at the end.
- Remove all users with the same Remove from group option. Only you will.
- After deleting all users, go back again and scroll down. Tap on the ‘leave chat’ option. Tap on the ‘leave’ option to confirm that.