Can a laptop run without a battery?
Long long ago when laptops didn’t exist around us, there used to be a device known as a Computer, which, if you guys recall ran on electricity. Then a guy named Adam Osborn came and gave us what we know today as a laptop in 1981, it worked on battery i.e it did not need a power outlet to operate. Now, it left many of us wondering can a laptop run without a laptop.
Well, the simple answer to that question is yes, a laptop can run without a battery. However, your laptop needs to be plugged into a power outlet in order to work. It would immediately turn off once you unplug it, just like a regular computer would. Otherwise, your laptop can run without a battery very conveniently.
The main reason why the batteries exist on laptops in the first place is to offer us portability. But if you don’t really need that or if you are forced to give that up due to a dead battery, your laptop can run without one as well.
When your battery is dead and can no longer work properly, it’s considered better to remove it to prevent the device from potential damage from a faulty battery, additionally, instead of installing a new battery or investing in a new laptop, you can use your old one using a power brick or a wall outlet.
In this article, we have explained can a laptop run without a battery(the answer is yes), and what the different sources you can use to run your laptop instead are.
Can A laptop Run Without A Battery?
To start, make sure to use the power adapter that came with the device. Without the battery, the power supply needs to work as the manufacturer intended. Any deviation in the amount of power puts the operation at risk since there’s no battery backup in the laptop to pick up the slack.
Speaking of which, you’ll need to be very careful with the data on your laptop now that you’re running on a power adapter alone. If there’s a power outage, or you knock the plug out of the wall, your laptop will turn off instantly, putting your entire system at risk. Save all the time. Better yet, use programs with auto-save features.
Don’t forget to fully power down your machine before unplugging it from power, too. You might be used to ripping the plug out of your laptop before leaving the room, which you can no longer do for obvious reasons, but you need to make sure the machine is 100% shut down before moving it. If it’s still working through the shutdown process, and you unplug it, that’s risky business.
What Happens If I Use My Laptop Without Battery
Using a laptop without a battery won’t cause any issues and in most cases, the laptop will work perfectly fine provided that the power adapted is connected to the laptop appropriately.
However, if the plug becomes loose even slightly the laptop will turn off automatically, thus posing risk to file damage and maybe to the internal components.
How To Run Your Laptop Safely Without A Battery
It is vitally important to take proper precautions whenever you are using electric devices, when you are running a laptop on electricity, it is important to keep certain guidelines in mind while working on that.
- Make sure that the charging cable and the power adapter are connected properly and intact. Even a slightly loose connection can cause your laptop to turn off automatically without being shut down properly. This can result in loss of data and also may damage the internal components (motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc).
- Always stay away from the battery slots and never ever touch the battery pin slots when the laptop is turned on because it can cause a health hazard and may result in a short circuit.
- Try to use the adapter that originally came with your laptop device to reduce the effect of power variations.
- Use a power backup device or a UPS especially if you live in an area where frequent power outages occur.
Advantages of Using a Laptop Without Battery
As you have already been informed, it is possible to run a laptop without a battery, now we have listed a few advantages of using a laptop without one for you.
- First of all, using a laptop without a battery can help in preventing the laptop from getting damaged by a defective battery, as there is no battery in your laptop anymore.
- Removing the battery can help in thwarting the battery from getting overheated and prolonging its life, hence helping you to use the device for a longer period of time.
Disadvantages of Using a Laptop Without Battery
As advantageous as it can be to use a laptop without a battery, it has several disadvantages as well, you should be aware of that as well before you go ahead and remove the battery from your laptop. Here, we have enlisted a few disadvantages of using a laptop without a battery.
- The first and main one is that you will be missing your battery which could have served as a built-in backup power source at the time of power fluctuations and outages.
- You can no longer use your laptop when you are not connected to any power source.
- A loose connection in the connected charging cable, even a slight one, can cause the laptop to turn off abruptly thus potentially causing the risk of damage to internal components and data loss.
- When your battery is not there then the battery slot will remain empty and thus the chance of accident increases where you could touch the exposed battery pins.
- Storing the battery for a very long time without charging might actually cause it to deteriorate.
With that we have reached the end of the article, we hope we were able to inform you how you can run your laptop without a battery, what safety measures you should keep in mind, what are its advantages, and what are the reasons you should avoid running a laptop without a battery.